Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 11 ( Anne Smithwick )


I am an idealist. That's what the Kiersey model says. Basically, that means I am a cry baby. Fortunatley for me, there are many of us idealists on this journey. From the moment our auto car began it's decent into the Sacred Valley nearly two weeks ago, I had tears streaming down my face. Not tears of sadness, but tears of joy. The simplicity that was evident in this special place was apparent from the start. The woman down the dusty road selling flowers from five buckets in the midst of nowhere was my first impression. Why was she so far from real commerce? Was she really considering a sale or did it matter to her? It did to the woman high in the Andes mountains who scaled the mountainside slinging handmade wares in front of a few travelers on a foot path at 9000 feet. She made one sale but was content. These are just two large impressions amongst hundreds that I have experienced alongside your children. Even if they are not Kiersey modeled idealists, they have all been moved by such impressions. Some have come from scenery. Some have come from children's faces. Some have come from way too out of the ordinary dishes served. But, I have seen them all embrace the newness that has been their recent home. And, I mean, a wholehearted embrace. They should be so proud of themselves. And, you as parents, will be too.

So, here we are, on the last leg of our togetherness. We are in Cusco surrounded by ancient Incan energy. We are awaiting our dinner in this twinkling city. I cannot express to you all the bond that we have forged with our WLS leaders. They have lovingly guided us at every turn of this memorable experience. We are leaving with three amazing new friends. Chris, Jorge, and Adela, we thank you. We are returning with alpaca hats, dirty toes, and a greater appreciation for all that we have back home. We have been stretched to great limits and have grown. Mr. Mercer has, despite bumpy Peruvian road commuting, been sensitive to recording every day's activities. Peru and it's gracious, simple people will always be a part of the fabric of your children's lives. I am grateful to have been a part of this experience with them. As we prepare to leave, of course, I am crying.

Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment