Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 7



Hello everyone! I hope all is well back in the U.S. Today was quite the adventure. It started with everyone meeting at the school at 6:15 in the morning. We then proceeded to Ollantaytambo where we gathered all of the necessary supplies for the hike, including the excellent cooks. After that we went to the village of Patacancha. It was beginning to rain and it was very cold. In the village there were women weaving underneath huts. They were making many different beautiful things, such as, scarves, blankets, belts, etc. After some people bought some things, we left the village for the adventure of a lifetime. I personally would describe the hike up as miserable. I think others would agree. It was extremely cold. The weather would switch between rain and snow. It was pretty at some points because we were surrounded by mountains. Thankfully Olivia was with me. It took us almost 4 hours to complete the hike, while it only took around 2 ½ hours for others to complete it. Once we got there, there was hot delicious coffee waiting for us. We had soup, beef, potato, tomatoes and onions, and rice. After lunch we huddled in our tents and got warm. Once we got into the tents and were warm it was a much more enjoyable experience. People played card games and chit chatted. We even got dinner in bed ,which was delicious. It was cheese wontons, popcorn, hot chocolate, and chicken spaghetti. My tent, which consisted of Taylor, Katie, Ashton, and Olivia went to bed soon after dinner. But unfortunately during the night Taylor, Sarah, and I got sick. But we did get to sleep some of the night. We are doing better though.
Besides the getting sick part and the unfortunate hike, I have loved every moment of the trip. I have fallen in love with the children of Peru. My family loves Katie and me. They constantly laugh at our attempt to speak in Spanish and at our expressions. Our little sister is adorable! Even though there has been some sickness with Sarah, Mary Morgan, Caroline, Taylor, and me, I think we have all had a lot of fun! Mom- Happy Birthday!! I hope you had a great one! I miss you and the family. Tell everyone hello and that I love them. I am doing fine, don’t worry about me.

Allie

No comments:

Post a Comment